Translate

Saturday 16 February 2019

An "entente cordiale" ? The Headless Spook

Whenever I travel on the London Tube
I stare at people, though I know it's rude,
To guess their thoughts, their kind of lives,
So it took me somewhat by surprise
When opposite me sat a pin-striped suit
Apparently worn by a headless spook.
"How careless," I thought, "to lose one's head."
"Try Lost Property," I almost said.
But it's unnerving to address an empty space
With collar and tie, but no actual face.
Was he in banking, insurance or law?
Was this a first visit? Had he been before?

The Pilgrim   Rene Magritte 1966  (Wikimedia Commons)

"Can I offer you dinner?" said a voice on my right.
The seat was empty! -- I turned in fright
And there like Alice and the Cheshire Cat,
Was this handsome face with a bowler hat.
"That would be nice,"  I dubiously said,
"But how can you manage with only a head?
Don't you think it might be better
If you and your body could get together?"
My heart gave lurch as he gave me a smile,
"That's been a problem for quite a while!
The waiters, they really haven't a clue,
For dining alone, I need a table for two!!"

"How did it happen?" I ventured to ask.
"I lost my head while passing through France.
My looks belie my age, my dear,
And time is timeless in my special sphere.
For years I've longed to return to my home
But over water I'm unable to roam,
I'm the very first spirit," he said with pride
"To use the Tunnel from the other side!"
"Your name?" I asked, and turned to him,
"Sidney Carton,"  he said with a disarming grin.
A Tale of Two Cities! I began to drool,
" I fell for you whilst still at school."

The Poet Recompensed   Rene Magritte 1956  (Wikimedia Commons)

Suddenly his features began to fade.
"Don't go yet!" I cried, dismayed.
He murmured gently, "Till another time.
You'd better wake up, it's the end of the line!!"

© Marion Kemp 1996 : from "In Praise of Hugs and other Poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment